Saturday, September 23, 2017

…and the the greatest of these is love



…and the the greatest of these is love

Wendy Li

Serving on this mission trip has been an incredible experience. It is hard to know where to begin. I can start by summing it up with the word "love."

For the first two days of the clinic, I worked at the same station, station 2. At this station, each clinic guest put their forehead up to the machine and their chin on a chin rest. I learned to tell each individual "nah pahk cheet" and "kung wah." Place your forehead and chin here. I felt so blessed to be able to greet every person who came through. 

Many guests demonstrated gratitude by thanking us through words, bows, hugs, and hand shakes. I felt God at work and love pass between us. I was blessed by each face, so beautiful and unique, no matter how worn, wrinkled, toothless, or elegant.

I worked with a woman named Nu, who taught me to speak a few words and also a lovely young woman named Nok. Duck was the optometrist who taught me to use the machine that read prescriptions. I was terrible at it, but he demonstrated great patience. Grace was in abundance. 

Everyone helped each other. We helped the guests. They helped each other. The Kuibiri church members and the JIL members all worked together with us. Loving relationships developed all around. God gave us the strength to work for hours in the heat and humidity. Smiles abounded all around.

Nu was most special to me. Again and again we embraced and told each other we loved each other. We do not speak each other's language, but that does not matter. We share a bond as Christian sisters. She is in a small Lutheran church in central Thailand. I am in a large air conditioned church in Brookfield. She is rich in spirit! We have connected online and our friendship will continue.

There is so much to tell...









No comments:

Post a Comment